September 14th, 2021
Constituency Assistant - Permanent, Full-Time - Halifax Citadel Sable Island
The Office of Lisa Lachance, MLA for Halifax Citadel Sable Island is seeking a highly motivated, organized individual to provide constituency support, including casework, communications and public relations, office management, and community outreach.
The successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, be highly organized and have experience overseeing office management and volunteers.
The Nova Scotia NDP Caucus practices employment equity. Women, African Nova Scotian persons, Indigenous persons, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons are encouraged to apply for this position. If you are a member of an equity-seeking group, you may choose to identify as such in your cover letter.
Office of the MLA for Halifax Citadel Sable Island
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The Constituency Assistant provides administrative and other assistance to the elected Member of the Legislative Assembly in carrying out duties to constituents, including communication, public relations and marketing, organization, scheduling, casework, events planning, advocacy and other services as appropriate.
The Constituency Assistant often without direct supervisor in the constituency office, and exercises responsibility for the operation of the office in a manner that provides for efficient workflow and a safe and secure workplace.
- Undertake, investigate and complete constituency casework including:
- obtaining approval from constituent to investigate on their behalf;
- compiling facts based on effective questioning of constituents on issues; and
- investigating appropriate resources.
- May include completing forms or applications on behalf of the constituent with their consent.
- Maintains casework files both physical and electronic, ensuring a fully confidential process of case management and filing that includes a case and contact database.
- Researching and drafting response to correspondence.
- Writing and editing information for constituency newsletter or information bulletins, advertising and marketing materials.
- Sourcing and implementing delivery of outreach material including coordination of distribution of material
- Initiating, investigating and writing resolutions and Member’s Statements for MLA to present to the House of Assembly, and preparing formal copies for presentation to constituent or groups of constituents.
- Preparing certificates, congratulatory notes, sympathy cards, etc.
- Researching and drafting speaking notes on behalf of the MLA.
- Creating website and social media content including photos, news, and other items.
- Organizing outreach events such as town hall meetings, including producing all necessary promotional and programming materials, booking venues, coordinating with potential attendees and other tasks that may be required.
- Setting up meetings between local groups and individuals with the MLA either inside or outside the office.
- Maintaining MLA calendar of activities including identifying upcoming community events and making recommendations as to MLA attendance based on contact with the constituency office.
- Maintaining relationships with local organizations and groups, including unions, community groups, business associations, student groups, parent school associations, religious organizations.
- Attending community meetings or activities within the constituency with or on behalf of the MLA.
- Attending to other tasks assigned by the MLA relating to maintenance of positive community relationships within the constituency, including identification of issues of concern in the constituency.
- Manages and monitors the MLA's Constituency Budget allocated by the House of Assembly Management Commission and assists in the preparation of the MLA constituency expense claim.
- Recommends purchase of furniture, equipment and technological devices for the constituency office.
- Sources, trains and motivates volunteers and/or casual staff working in constituency office.
- Maintains constituency office with the objective of providing an efficient and orderly workplace.
- Understands and applies the Regulations of the House of Assembly Management Commission in all the above, including seeking clarification from the Office of the Speaker where questions exist.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, including a keen attention to detail.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including experience drafting, formatting and editing office correspondence and promotional materials.
- Effective communication, customer service, problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Well developed organizational, time management and daily planning skills.
- Experience working in office environment without direct supervision is preferred.
- Knowledge of government and community-based services, community groups and organizations, and local publications considered an asset.
- Knowledge of current issues impacting the constituency considered an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to implement an anti-oppressive approach in work settings
- Experience working with diverse individuals and communities
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel), internet, email, and social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
- Experience recruiting, training, and managing volunteers or casual staff.
- Experience working with database software, particularly on the Populus platform, considered an asset.
- Reside in the constituency or has direct personal knowledge of constituency, including knowledge of local groups and organizations.
- Ability to travel within constituency to carry out job-related responsibilities as required.
$45,457.88 to $56,821.96, depending on qualifications and experience, as determined by the Office of the Speaker.
35 hours/week with 3 weeks vacation annually and cost-shared benefits.
Flexible work arrangements may be considered.
No later than 5 PM, Friday, October 1, 2021
Early-Mid November 2021
Send application to
Send resume and cover letter by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Halifax Citadel Sable Island CA”